Friday, April 7, 2023

Rome to Nice


Italy Vatican City Monaco France

So in the previous post we were looking at riding the N2 in Portugal from start to finish... well, the trip, country and idea in premise sounds fantastic, but when we mapped out the route and the elevation per day was upwards of 5000+ feet over 60-70 miles. This is a bit more of a challenge than we were looking for at this stage. We enjoy a challenge and our Spain trip was probably tougher than the N2, but for this one after 5 years, we would like a slightly less intense adventure. 😁

THE LOCATION
After evaluating locations in northern Europe, Asia and even the country that put the North in North America we finalized our 2023 adventure. This will be the first time we will be cycling through multiple countries. Back in 2018, we did have a break day where we went to Gibralter and climbed the rock which was really cool. On this trip we will be starting off in Italy, passing through Vatican City which is the world's smallest country, continuing up the west coast of Italy [ Tuscany ], entering into France, passing through Monaco - which is the world's second smallest country and then finishing up back in France.

So why these locations? It is beautiful, the sights and cities of Rome, Monaco, Nice, Pisa - riding a bike through Tuscany and southern France in the spring??? How can you NOT choose this!?!?!

THE ROUTE
This tour looks on paper to be easier than our Spain trek, but harder than India. Personally I am a bit concerned on the elevations on day 6 and the final push into Nice which has both a considerable elevation gain and the highest number of daily miles. Originally we were going to have 8 cycling days with a night spent in Monaco and a short morning ride into Nice. The issue is that if we spend the 3-4 hours cycling on that final day - we will not be back into Rome in time to return the rental bikes.


THE BICYCLE
Now on to the bicycle which is named "Stevens". I wish I could take credit for planning that, but these were the trekking bikes that the bike rental in Rome had. 😆 So why did we rent when the last tours we brought our bikes? For me, it comes down to the ease of traveling, figuring out what type of bicycle I will need for the trip and minor cost factors. 


Click here if you want to see the specs ➤ Stevens Bike
Ease of travel : I will not have to take apart and box up the bicycle, get it to the airport, argue with the airport people about getting a bike on the plane, then wait for the bike at my destination which always gets offloaded from the plane last, put it back together[ pray nothing has broken ] and then do the same exact thing on the way back. What complicates it on the way back is then I have to figure out how to find a bike box or figuring out how to store a box/bike case for the return trip. It might be worth it based on the next point.

What type of ride am I doing? : So this could be the deciding factor on bring vs rent. If i am doing a solo tour and I'm looking for speed, a light bike or I am looking to start the ride from the moment I get off the plane I would probably bring my bike. 

Does cost play a role? : For me, not really. A lot of airlines charge about $150-$200 each way or some might even be free. A rental bike for the trip is about $250 - and it isnt your bike, so a bit of a crapshoot even if you have looked at all the specs etc. So one way or another you are going to pay for something. 

The MOST important thing is that you do your planning and don't cheap out on either bringing or renting the bike. You are spending weeks to months planning the trip, travelling to the destination, taking time away from the family and work - this is the most critical piece of the trip, dont skimp.

I brought a bicycle on 3 previous trips and this Italy/France tour will be the 3rd time that I rent a bike. If I think back to the previous trips, would i change the bicycle I rode, I would probably answer yes on the tour I did with Mrs Cyclestheworld in Portugal. The bike was ok - I should have found a better rental.

So the bike we will be riding is aluminum, has all Shimano components, disc brakes, a rack and some front suspension. I've requested the rental company to remove the fenders as we just don't need to carry that extra weight 500 miles. I could never understand why people use fenders, my experience is they just dont work that well to justify.

Next post is going to be Q&A with the trip members!!

Grazie and Ciao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment